You already know that to get more customers and make more profits, the keywords that you insert in the texts of your website must be chosen carefully. You must appear in the first position of research, and nothing less! But do you really know how to choose your keywords based on your specific niche, competition and research? Here are some expert tips to help you find your way.
SEO and web marketing strategy (inbound marketing)
Search engines (Google and others) are robots that scan the textual content of websites and find the terms used in searches. Your site will not appear on the first page of search results if:
you choose keywords that are too popular without associating them with more specific keywords
you do not put the right keywords in the right places
you insert too many keywords or not enough
your texts are not long enough
you do not optimize your metas data
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is an art, and the experts in inbound marketing make it a job that requires to be constantly aware of changes in the algorithms used by search engines. Knowing the 12 common mistakes that prevent you from attracting traffic to your website , they will first advise you to establish the persona of your target customers, using the vocabulary and expressions that they use during their research. .
Types of keywords
Keywords are usually the names of the products and services you offer (or their synonyms), as well as the cities you target. Make a list of your products and services and create a page for each of them (the title of the page will be the main keyword, which you will repeat in the texts by associating them with secondary keywords, as well as your targeted cities).
There are several types of keywords:
– Broad-spectrum keywords : they are used massively by the same type of companies as yours. For example, the words lawyer, excavation or dentist can be used in the majority of pages as well as in meta tags, but associated with more specific keywords (short-tail).
– The short-tail keywords : they consist of a few terms, for example: criminal and penal law , commercial French drains, installation of crown on implant or residential and commercial earthworks . These keywords can be used as page titles and be included in the title H1 (associated with the targeted main city), while being inserted in the paragraphs.
– Precision Keywords: these are expressions that instinctively tap potential customers in their research (eg excavation company for residential french drains in Laval or Criminal Lawyer for driving while intoxicated. These words can be put in the first sentence of the texts, in one of the titles H2, in the paragraphs, in the descriptions of the photos as well as in a article of blog.
– Long-tail keywords : these are lexical fields related to your products or services, such as how to find a good excavation company to make a parking entrance or a cheap lawyer in Montreal for an amicable divorce. These phrases can be added many times in the paragraphs of a blog post, in addition to the keywords of precision (with a link to the page of your website).
In addition to this so-called “natural” SEO, it is essential to insert the chosen keywords within the meta tags (URL, title, meta-description and alt tags), which the SEO strategist can integrate before putting the online site. It is also necessary to create internal and external links by not forgetting to optimize the anchors. The SEO part is one of the most important elements of your web marketing strategy, and not working SEO properly is one of the many mistakes that prevents you from getting traffic to your website.
Practical tools to choose your keywords and analyze their performance
To determine the keywords that will work to reach your target audience, an analysis of your statistics in Google Analytics will tell you if a keyword is highly sought after by people in your area.
Choose keywords that are not too much sought after or too little researched. For example, a dentist will benefit from using the cheap teeth whitening keywords in Rosemont (instead of dental whitening in Montreal ).
Once the keywords are integrated, the Google Search Console will let you know your location and discover which of your keywords bring you the most visits.
Choose your keywords according to research intentions
To identify the search intentions of Internet users, Google uses Rank Brain algorithms (to interpret 15% of new text searches) and Hummingbird (for voice searches). It then redirects the user to the type of relevant sites (news, service companies, online shops, etc.).
There are 2 types of research intentions:
– Information Intentions : When people want to know how products or services work, they look for an elaborate description. You can describe this product or service in detail in the text of the appropriate page, or in a blog post. For example: If you are a construction contractor who is laying ceramic tiles, explain your method of laying ceramic tiles will add these specific keywords. Thus, if the customer who hesitates to do the work by himself can contact you!
– Transactional intentions: When people want to find a particular product or service, the queries are specific, such as cheap ceramic tile Saint-Eustache . It is then good to describe amply, in the texts of your web site, the qualifiers of each product by including keywords as well as photos with titles and optimized alt tags.
Of inbound marketing experts can help you achieve your sales targets and customer retention. An SEO audit and a study of keywords will be carried out, as well as an optimization of the site (on-site and off-site) and links. Your website will then be able to perform optimally and consistently on search engines.